Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Twins are 2

Yesterday was Kennedy & Kadence's birthdays.  They turned 2!!!!!  In some ways it feels like we've been together way longer than two years, but in other ways I know that time is whizzing by.  And oh, what a difference a year makes!  This time last year, we gave both babies the traditional first birthday individual cake for them to play in and make a mess with.  But last year, developmentally, Kennedy was unable to do that.  She was not even eating food yet.  Oh, but this year, we got what we asked for!  She made the biggest mess with just 1 cupcake and some of it even got in her mouth. It was the most adorable mess we've ever seen. She had a great time with it.
Kadence on the other hand is advanced for his age and is already well into his "Terrible Twos" early!  He is now refusing to smile for cameras, so we have to tickle him and trick him to get him to smile.  Here is the end result of that.   That boy is such a stinker!


Funny how time flies isn't it?  I still remember very clearly finding out I was pregnant with twins, being considered a high-risk pregnancy and being put on bed rest, then having the twins at 37 weeks.   It was all a very, very difficult time.  Kennedy spent 3 weeks in the NICU and I was devastated to have to go home without her. We didn't know what was going on with her then, we just knew that every day when we would go visit her, the NICU doctor would tell us about something else they had found "wrong" with her.  I can remember being in the room where they did my C-section and getting to see Kadence right away.  But, when I asked to see Kennedy, all the professionals in the room would get eerily quiet.  The kind of silence that gave me chills.  All the nurses got busy on Kennedy right away as soon as she was born and I didn't even get to hold her until the end of the day.  I can remember feeling like I was watching the scene from floating above my bed.  I knew I had come in with two babies, but I wasn't sure if I was going to get to keep two.  They reassured me several times from my paralyzed (from the waist down) state on the operating table that Kennedy was alright.  "Then, why can't I hold her?  Why can't I see her?"  No one gave me answers.  It's the same feeling I got when the professionals came from Nashville to do my ultrasounds once a month.  You knew there were things they weren't saying. Things they were saying once you left the room.  But, alas, both babies were born whole, and born beautiful I might add.  And I get to keep them both.
KadenceKennedy

We are very very blessed to have come this far.  God touches our lives each and every day.  My life has not been the same since these two were born.  I am a much more thankful and thoughtful person.  I don't have time to slow down and complain about things.  No time for big pity parties (though sometimes I admit, I throw mini ones).  Small gestures go a long way.  And staying close to good friends and family is crucial.  God bless you all!  Happy Birthday Kadence & Kennedy!

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! I remember when Deak made his first mess, I cried. Crazy how those moments become beautiful.
    Happy birthday you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the big 2nd birthday! I found your blog through one of the other C18 mamas and am really enjoying reading it. My son is also 2 (27 months) Are you going to be at the next conference in Indianapolis? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to those adorable twins! Love their names BTW! And boy most parents really take for granted those wonderful toddler accomplishments that it takes our kiddos a little longer to come to. But, oh how sweet when they do :)

    ReplyDelete